New Champlain Bridge opens to inbound traffic
June 24, 2019
Montreal’s new Champlain Bridge opened to traffic Monday morning, about six months behind schedule. For now, only traffic going to Montreal is able to use the bridge, but it will be fully operational for July 1. The $4.2 billion project took four years to complete, replacing the former Champlain Bridge that had fallen into disrepair since its construction in 1962.
Federal Infrastructure Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne was on site for the opening of the bridge at 5 a.m. and was driving one of the first cars that rolled across the span. “I was really, really excited. Every centimetre I was crossing I was thinking about the more than 2,000 men and women who have delivered a signature infrastructure for Montrealers. I mean, 50 million cars are crossing every year. We have delivered a toll-free bridge as we had promised to Quebecers," he said.
The bridge is expected to last 125 years.
(in French) Pont Champlain: annuler le péage fait gonfler les coûts
May 30, 2018
L’annulation du péage sur le futur pont Champlain fera encore gonfler la facture pour les contribuables. Ottawa négocie une compensation financière avec le consortium privé responsable du chantier pour cette décision du gouvernement Trudeau.
Infrastructure Canada est en voie de signer une entente à cet effet avec le consortium Signature sur le Saint-Laurent, mené par SNC-Lavalin, a indiqué le vérificateur général du Canada, Michael Ferguson.
Dans un rapport publié mardi, il explique qu’Ottawa s’apprête à dédommager l’entreprise pour la perte de revenus causée par l’abandon du péage. Les revenus de péage étaient estimés à 3 milliards de dollars pour les 30 premières années d’exploitation du pont.
New Champlain Bridge will be finished on time, minister promises
July 08, 2016
Federal Minister of Infrastructure Amarjeet Sohi, Quebec Municipal Affairs Minister Martin Coiteux and Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre were on hand Friday as crews provided an update on construction of the new $4.25-billion span linking Montreal to the South Shore.
The bridge is scheduled to be completed Dec. 1, 2018. It is expected to last 125 years and will take up to 45,000 tonnes of steel to complete, according to Marc Dutil, the president of CANAM, one of the groups working on the project.
Sohi said Friday the project is on schedule and on budget. He also confirmed that the finished bridge will not have tolls. When the previous Conservative government announced plans to build the new bridge, they said it would be partially paid for by tolls. The Liberals reversed that decision after taking power last year.